Most business owners leave exit planning far too late. By the time they want or need to exit their business, there is inadequate time to prepare the business sale. This either forces them to sell the business for a lot less than they were hoping, they are forced to close the business down, some owners are forced to continue working in their business.
What does it mean to be exit ready – why should it be a priority?
This is often referred to as the 7-D’s – Deal, Decide, Distress, Disability/Disease, Disagreement (between business partners), Divorce or Death. It is estimated that c.50% of business owners will be forced to exit. None of us knows when, where, who or how any of these circumstances could happen, being prepared is critical.
This even applies if the business is one person and their laptop, preparation is essential.
As business experts, you are uniquely well placed to help business owners for and implement their exit strategy to avoid the pitfalls that erode exit valuations and cause deals to collapse.
Together with a team of Exit Planning Experts, discover how you can help clients become ready and exit successfully, boosting your fee income as the ultimate ‘birth-to-Exit’ win-win client support strategy.
Each week we will focus on a different aspect of exit planning:
Did you know
- 98% of business owners are not adequately prepared for the Due Diligence phase. This increases the time to complete a deal and will increase the costs considerably.
- 86% of owners are working hard and creating value for customers but when it comes to selling their business, the value is frequently not transferable – causing the deal to collapse or the value to plummet.
- 83% have no written exit plan and no post-exit plan. That’s why helping owners ready for the sale is as important as getting the business ready for sale.
- 83% of business owners who fail to have a personal exit plan encounter serious health issues and relationship challenges within 2 years from business exit.
- 78% have don’t assemble an ‘Exit Team’ to help them prepare and navigate through the exit process.
- 70% don’t know how much income they require to support their lifestyle post exit. They do not know ‘THEIR NUMBER’.
- On average, business owners over-value their businesses by at least 59%.
- 56% believe they understand what their business is worth but only 18% have a professional validate the value.
- 49% have done no exit planning at all.
- 40% have no contingency plans to cover illness, death, or a forced exit.
- Only 29% of owners have adequate tax planning.Results from the EPI State of Owner Readiness Survey
- 1. Introduction to Exit Planning
90% of businesses are not saleable. Of those for sale, more than 80% do not sell, and of those that do sell, less than 5% sell for around the owners’ asking price… Learn what it takes to create a saleable business and be exit ready at all times.
Join us: Thurs 20th January 2022 @ 12.30
- 2. Business By Design Methodology
Learn about the Business By Design Value Creation Process that can be applied to any business regardless of their stage of development. Discover the tools required to help both the owner and their business prepare for a successful exit.
Join us: Thurs 27th January 2022 @ 12.30
- 3. Wealth Planning
The vast majority of business owners struggle to create sufficient equity value in their business to live the life they desire after they exit their business. Do you know ‘Your Number’ and what you can put in place to bridge your wealth gap?
Join us: Thurs 3rd February 2022
- 4. Personal Exit Preparation
Personal preparation is vital if you are to successfully exit your business and it determines the next chapter of your life, be it retirement or moving on to another project. Discover how to prepare for what lies ahead, both pre- and post-exit.
Join us: Thurs 10th February 2022 @ 12.30
- 5. EVA Due Diligence
Discover how your potential purchaser would evaluate your business. This tool will help you to analyse the performance of a business from an unbiased viewpoint, highlighting the KPIs that will be relevant to your prospective purchasers.
Join us: Thurs 17th February 2022 @ 12.30
- 6. De-Risking
SME owners need to understand how to reduce the risk within their businesses as far as is possible. De-risking your business not only protects the wealth the owner has already created but it also will help increase the overall value of the business.
Join us: Thurs 24th February 2022 @ 12.30
- 7. EVA Valuation Report
There are a number of methods potential purchasers will use to value a business. The EVA Business Valuation Model helps buyers and sellers understand the key methods used for valuing SMEs and produces a valuation range relevant to the business.
Join us: Thurs 3rd March 2022 @ 12.30
- 8. Growth
Very few owners know how to harness the full sales potential of their current client list. Learn how to harness this potential and grow a business in the most cost-effective and efficient way before pressing that “sales and marketing” button.
Join us: Thurs 10th March 2022 @ 12.30
- 9. Funding
Learn the various options available for funding your business’s growth.
Understand the options accessible to buyers and how these could impact your future exit plans.
Join us: Thurs 17th March 2022 @ 12.30
- 10. Preparing Your People Plan
Your management team and your employees are critical to the success of your business and your exit strategy. Discover the critical HR factors you should be aware of to ensure this vital part of your business is in order and legally compliant. Read more
Join us: Thurs 24th March 2022 @ 12.30
- 11. Tax Planning
Why work just to give it all to HMRC, you want to keep as much of your hard-earned wealth as possible. Learn the importance of tax-efficient planning and how to keep hold of as much as possible whilst complying with all your tax obligations.
Join us: Thurs 31st March 2022 @ 12.30
- 12. Putting it all together
This session will pull everything you have heard in the previous 11 sessions together. As a thank you for attending this final session, you will receive an invaluable exit planning blueprint to guide and assist the implementation of your exit.
Join us: Thurs 7th April 2022 @ 12.30